Our company was founded on the belief that farming practices should be environmentally responsible and science-based. Innovations in genetic technology can be applied to reduce various time-inefficiencies associated with modern agriculture – essentially giving crop producers “magic glasses that can see into the future”. By analyzing the DNA of a plant we’re able to identify intrinsic growth characteristics months or even years before they become visible by the naked eye.
We’re developing genetic technologies for a wide variety of applications with an emphasis on specialty crop markets such as date palm, persimmon, nepenthes, cannabis/hemp, and papaya. Our diagnostic services include identifying plant sex/gender, identifying variants affecting secondary metabolite production like cannabinoids, as well as microbial screening for things like powdery mildew, aspergillus, and botrytis. Despite our continued commitment to the rapid development of low-cost diagnostic platforms; the long-term growth of our research program will also include commercializing our patent-pending plant tissue culture and gene editing technologies.
Compensation = $20/hr – Contract
Position on-site at our lab in Goleta, California
Delta Leaf is seeking a Laboratory Technician to assist in the day-to-day technical operations of its laboratory in Goleta, near the UCSB campus. The Technician will take an important role in maintaining the optimal performance of our laboratory. The Technician will be expected to take ownership of equipment by both learning how to operate them well as well as administering the types of maintenance and alignments that might be necessary. A successful candidate will become an expert in equipment operation to the point of being able to train lab users to critically assess whether each step in a protocol has been completed appropriately according to feedback from your equipment. Overall, the Technician will be expected to contribute to the lab culture and capabilities, and strive to meet the high standards necessary to participate in a world-class research and diagnostics operation.
- Follow established protocols to perform end-point PCR and qPCR analysis of plant DNA samples.
- Help maintain organized data records.
- Carry out quality control practices, such as lab walkthrough checklists; help to improve these practices.
- Participate in the discussion of laboratory protocols and objectives with the supervisor.
- Communicate progress and problems to the supervisor via email/phone, in meetings, and in reports, depending on the urgency and scope.
- Assist in the maintenance of stock levels and inventory of lab supplies such as consumable materials, solvents, personal protective equipment (PPE), and other general supplies, as needed; communicate this information to the Lab Manager.
- Completed at least 2 years of Trade–Technical College in a relevant technical area.
- 2+ years of relevant experience
- Attention to detail and excellent problem-solving skills.
- Ability to maintain highly organized data records.
- An ability to learn quickly and adequately transfer that knowledge to others through teaching/documentation.
- A desire to meet and set high standards.
- Ability to work independently, with a high level of responsibility.
- Strong communication skills, towards the supervisor, clients, and other team members
- Teamwork skills and an ability to collaborate with coworkers having diverse skills and backgrounds.
- Must be able to work evenings and weekends. Must be flexible with scheduling.
- The ability to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Bachelor’s degree in biological sciences.
- Proficiency with the following software: Google Docs (or Excel, Word & PowerPoint) and Zoom.
- Basic computer maintenance and troubleshooting skills, e.g. new hardware installations, networking, performing hard drive backups.
By applying for this role I understand that if I’m offered a position with the company I will be required to submit to the pre-employment aptitude testing, and background screening as a condition of employment.
Delta Leaf Labs provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Delta Leaf Labs complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.